Form I-9 Fines Increased for 2020
NEW FORM I-9 FINES ASSESSED AFTER JUNE 17, 2020
Form I-9 fines for violations have increased for 2020. The new Form I-9 fines will be effective for penalties assessed after June 17, 2020 whose associated violations occurred after November 2, 2015. I-9 penalties assessed after June 17, 2020 now range $234 – $2,332 for I–9 paperwork violations.
Substantive/Uncorrected Technical Violation I-9 Fines:
- Minimum fine per individual increased from $230 to $234
- Maximum fine per individual increased from $2,292 to $2,332
Knowing Hire/Continuing to Employ Fines:
- First offense increased from $573 – $4,586 to $583 – $4,667
- Second offense increased from $4,586 – $11,463 to $4,667 – $11,665
- Third offense + increased from $6,878 – $22,927 to $6,999 – $23,331
PAPER I-9S COULD POSE A RISK
A representative from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Outreach Branch estimates that 76% of paper I-9s have errors. Fines can add up quickly if you are making mistakes. Check out our post, 10 Common Errors Spotted During I-9 Audits to learn more about how paper I-9s can be deceptively tricky.
HELP TO MANAGE YOUR I-9S BEYOND DAY ONE
While human resource professionals try to find a new normal due to COVID-19, there are important things to consider beyond day one with Form I-9 compliance. Watch our on-demand webinar, Form I-9 Reverifications, Retention, and Rehires to get best practice tips to help you keep your I-9s in order.
Helping You Manage Form I-9 Reverifications, Retention, and Rehires
While the basics may seem clear, proper Form I-9 management has complexities beyond the onboarding of a new hire. It’s not a get-it-and-forget-it task. With the rise in workforce enforcement actions, our team reviews some of the common mistakes and misperceptions around Form I-9. This will help your organization better avoid issues in the event of an ICE audit.
View our FREE webinar to help you learn more about:
- Temporary Form I-9 guidance for Section 2 completion
- Considerations for rehires and Form I-9
- Common pitfalls of I-9 reverifications
- Tips for helping you manage your Forms I-9 over the long term
- PLUS, a brief demo of the I-9 Anywhere® service to see how you can help make I-9s easier for all your employees
Recommended For You
This is a recap of the April 1 webinar, Market Pulse: The Tide is Turning. We are sharing key insights […]
With an increase in vaccinations, a second stimulus check and a wealth of pent-up demand, consumers are ready and willing […]
On March 10, E-Verify announced a new feature of myE-Verify that helps employees electronically resolve their Department of Homeland Security […]
Consumers Maintain a Tight Grip on Credit Card Spending in Q1 2021 NOTE: This article was last updated on March […]