Higher Education Webinar Recording: New Form I-9 and Top Gaffes
As the Higher Ed community prepares for winter tem hiring, we must remember that the new Form I-9 is now reality and it must be used by January 21, 2017. Higher Ed has its fair share of challenges with different employee types (graduate students, rotating professors, remote employees, adjuncts, Foreign Nationals), a decentralized hiring structure, determinations that must be made as to whether to E-verify all employees or only those associated with federal grants, and other challenges of academic hiring (GTA, GRA, GPA).
Dubbed “America’s most complicated form”, the I-9 is filled with potential traps for the unwary employer. There are more than 80 common errors that can be made on the form, and internal studies have found that a typical organization completing I-9s using pen and paper will have errors on 55% or more of their I-9 forms. (source: Jackson Lewis PC) Let’s familiarize ourselves with some of the new Form I-9 changes:
- Validations on certain fields to ensure information is entered correctly
- Drop-down lists and calendars
- Embedded instructions for completing each field
- Area to enter additional information that employers are currently required to notate in the margins of the form
- A quick-response matrix barcode, or QR code, generates once the form is printed and can be used to streamline audit processes
- Requiring employees to provide only other last names used in Section 1, rather than all other names used
- Supplemental pages for multiple preparers/translators
You can’t afford I-9 mistakes. Simple errors and omissions can lead to government fines and penalties ranging from $216 to $2,156 per employee (as of August 1, 2016 per Jackson Lewis). Amy Peck, Jackson Lewis PC Shareholder, and Gordon Middleton, Director of Legal Compliance at Equifax Workforce Solutions, recently discussed the new Form I-9 along with the challenges that Higher Ed experiences with processing I-9 at a one-hour webinar. Contact us for more information on how Equifax Workforce Solutions is working with institutions in improving their I-9 processing.
Recommended For You
ICE Worksite Investigation Leads to Raid of Texas Company On April 3, 2019 federal immigration authorities arrested more than 280 […]
Off-Site I-9s Present Unique Challenges for HR Firstly, what is an off-site Form I-9? It is an I-9 for an […]
Last Update: January 25, 2019 An agreement has been reached to end the partial government shutdown. A three-week continuing resolution […]
U.S. Immigration and Customers Enforcement (ICE) has dramatically increased its audits and investigations of Form I-9s. And ICE is not […]