Webinar: Remote I-9 legal challenges/2015 Immigration & Compliance trends
Montserrat Miller, partner at Arnall Golden Gregory, LLP, was online recently to discuss I-9 challenges for remote hires and also provide her forecast for 2015 trends in immigration issues.
Montserrat, a well-known immigration attorney and expert on Form I-9 compliance issues, discussed the issues at a one-hour webinar.
Among the topics:
- Remote hires – completion of the Form I-9, physical inspection of documents
- Tips for improving compliance during the remote hiring process
- High risk areas of the I-9 process for authorized representatives with little experience
- States’ issuance of driver’s licenses to undocumented residents and implications for the Form I-9
- Status of immigration reform on Capitol Hill; and 2015 trends in Form I-9 and E-Verify compliance
I joined Montserrat to add a few thoughts that bear on the remote I-9 process, such as pitfalls that arise if a new hire has recently used MyE-Verify to block their SSN.
Remote I-9s represent a knotty problem for employers. There are 7 pages of instructions that come with the innocent-looking two page Form I-9 itself — not to mention 66 pages of guidance for employers in the M-274 Handbook for Employers. Anytime someone without a lot of experience touches the process, you might be at risk.
Recommended For You
Mandatory E-Verify Type System Proposed for Agriculture On December 11, 2019, the House of Representatives approved H.R. 5038, the Farm […]
HR representatives and hiring managers have long struggled to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9 on-time and correctly. That’s […]
What should employers do with an employee’s Form I-9 after the employee leaves the company? It’s a best practice that […]
The reverification of Form I-9s can be a daunting task for any employer. It’s a complex requirement with many rules […]