Webinar: Remote I-9 legal challenges/2015 Immigration & Compliance trends
Montserrat Miller, partner at Arnall Golden Gregory, LLP, was online recently to discuss I-9 challenges for remote hires and also provide her forecast for 2015 trends in immigration issues.
Montserrat, a well-known immigration attorney and expert on Form I-9 compliance issues, discussed the issues at a one-hour webinar.
Among the topics:
- Remote hires – completion of the Form I-9, physical inspection of documents
- Tips for improving compliance during the remote hiring process
- High risk areas of the I-9 process for authorized representatives with little experience
- States’ issuance of driver’s licenses to undocumented residents and implications for the Form I-9
- Status of immigration reform on Capitol Hill; and 2015 trends in Form I-9 and E-Verify compliance
I joined Montserrat to add a few thoughts that bear on the remote I-9 process, such as pitfalls that arise if a new hire has recently used MyE-Verify to block their SSN.
Remote I-9s represent a knotty problem for employers. There are 7 pages of instructions that come with the innocent-looking two page Form I-9 itself — not to mention 66 pages of guidance for employers in the M-274 Handbook for Employers. Anytime someone without a lot of experience touches the process, you might be at risk.
Recommended For You
ICE Worksite Investigation Leads to Raid of Texas Company On April 3, 2019 federal immigration authorities arrested more than 280 […]
Off-Site I-9s Present Unique Challenges for HR Firstly, what is an off-site Form I-9? It is an I-9 for an […]
Last Update: January 25, 2019 An agreement has been reached to end the partial government shutdown. A three-week continuing resolution […]
U.S. Immigration and Customers Enforcement (ICE) has dramatically increased its audits and investigations of Form I-9s. And ICE is not […]