Webinar: Remote I-9 legal challenges/2015 Immigration & Compliance trends
Montserrat Miller, partner at Arnall Golden Gregory, LLP, was online recently to discuss I-9 challenges for remote hires and also provide her forecast for 2015 trends in immigration issues.
Montserrat, a well-known immigration attorney and expert on Form I-9 compliance issues, discussed the issues at a one-hour webinar.
Among the topics:
- Remote hires – completion of the Form I-9, physical inspection of documents
- Tips for improving compliance during the remote hiring process
- High risk areas of the I-9 process for authorized representatives with little experience
- States’ issuance of driver’s licenses to undocumented residents and implications for the Form I-9
- Status of immigration reform on Capitol Hill; and 2015 trends in Form I-9 and E-Verify compliance
I joined Montserrat to add a few thoughts that bear on the remote I-9 process, such as pitfalls that arise if a new hire has recently used MyE-Verify to block their SSN.
Remote I-9s represent a knotty problem for employers. There are 7 pages of instructions that come with the innocent-looking two page Form I-9 itself — not to mention 66 pages of guidance for employers in the M-274 Handbook for Employers. Anytime someone without a lot of experience touches the process, you might be at risk.
Recommended For You
I-9 Enforcement has Employers Nationwide in the Hot Seat. I-9 worksite enforcement more than quadrupled in FY 2018, as compared […]
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) recently announced a change to one of the acceptable documents for Form I-9. The […]
ICE Worksite Investigation Leads to Raid of Texas Company On April 3, 2019 federal immigration authorities arrested more than 280 […]
Off-Site I-9s Present Unique Challenges for HR Firstly, what is an off-site Form I-9? It is an I-9 for an […]